Founded in 1868 / Incorporated 1929
Population est. 850 / City Hall 907-755-2261
Photo by Jon Bolling
In 1934, Klawock received federal funds for a cannery. In 1971 Alaska Timber Corp. built a sawmill. Soon after, Klawock-Heenya Corp., Shaan-Seet Corp. of Craig, and Sealaska Timber Corp. built a log-sort yard outside of Klawock and a deep-water dock on Klawock Island.
Klawock is a significant center of Tlingit culture, with an annual celebration of Elizabeth Peratrovich's pioneering Native-rights work. Klawock Totem Park has 21 totem poles that are replicas of the original totem poles that stood in Tuxekan (the winter village of the Heinyaa Kwaan people). There is a Heritage Center including a longhouse and carving shed near the edge of town.
The only airstrip on Prince of Wales Island is near the town and serves two scheduled carriers using wheeled aircraft; visiting planes also use the runway. Floatplanes land near Klawock's harbor.
Klawock has a small boat harbor. A boat launch ramp is north of the cannery. A deep-draft dock on Klawock Island is primarily used for loading timber.